GTA shoots former Milton auto body shop worker, victim’s cousin says

New details are emerging about a gunman who fatally shot a Toronto police officer at a Mississauga cafe on Monday afternoon, then opened fire on three people at a body shop in Milton less than an hour later, killing one of them.

Milton’s shooting took place around 2:50 p.m. after the suspect allegedly killed the Toronto police officer. Andrew Hong in what authorities described as an “unprovoked” ambush attack inside a Tim Hortons.

So far the motive for the rampage is unclear, but on Tuesday CTV News spoke with a cousin of the Milton victim, Shakeel Ashraf, who confirmed the suspect was a former employee of the garage owned by the defunct – MK Auto Repairs.

“I don’t know him personally. He was working at the store about a year ago and he was there for a short time, from what I understand,” said Arslan Hanif. “I just can’t find a motive, especially for someone like Shakeel. He contributed to the community, he volunteered his time donating to charities, he was a gem.

Hanif told CTV News his cousin was out for lunch when the suspect first arrived at the body shop.

He said he was told the suspect asked where his cousin was and then hung around the store until he returned.

Police said a total of three people were eventually shot inside the repair shop. Ashraf, 38, was pronounced dead at the scene while two others were taken to hospital with critical and critical injuries, respectively.

The suspect fled the scene but was eventually located in Hamilton and shot dead by police hours later. This incident is currently under investigation by the Special Investigations Unit.

“It’s hard to believe. It’s shocking. The family is still in shock. I spoke to the father yesterday, his brother, they are just in shock. They’re not in the right frame of mind,” Hanif told CTV News.

So far, police have released limited details about the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Law enforcement sources told CP24 earlier on Tuesday that Hong was sitting at a table eating his lunch at a Tim Hortons after taking part in a training exercise with several other motorcyclists when he was ambushed on edge wearing.

The sources also say the suspect is believed to have attempted to retrieve Hong’s service pistol from its holster after the shooting, but was unable to do so due to a safety lock.

He eventually fled the scene in a stolen vehicle, eventually turning up at a body shop in Milton.


At some point after Monday’s violence, police issued a public safety alert due to what they described as an “active shooter” situation.

The suspect, however, was eventually located in Hamilton and shot dead by police hours later in an incident that is currently being investigated by the Special Investigations Unit.

At a press conference on Monday evening, Peel Regional Police Chief Nishan Duraiappah expressed his condolences, describing Hong’s shooting as “unprovoked” and an “ambush attack”.

Duraiappah also said a “second innocent victim suffered life-altering gunshot wounds” following the Mississauga incident.

It is not known how this individual was injured.

Hong was a 22-year-old force veteran who was also married with two children.

Today, his friends and colleagues remember him as a “gentle giant” who was “larger than life”.

Ashraf, meanwhile, has been described as a “devoted father” and an avid cricketer with deep roots in the community.

“I’ve known him for over 15 years,” a longtime client told CP24 on Tuesday. “He was the go-to person for any issues with the car, any information about the cars, not just for me but also for my children. A loving family man, just affectionate.

Comments are closed.